Monday, February 15, 2016

And here we go....

Honest admission: this is my first blog post ever. This blog is in response to an online class I signed up for. The idea of a blog is daunting as I sit and imagine what to say. Should I start with my teaching philosophy? The goals for teaching? My fear of frogs?! I'm not an expert "blogger". I don't know if expert applies to anything in my life. But as a teacher, I don't want the title of expert for any area of my life. Rather, I want to continue improving and never settle. Thus....I'm bloggin'.

I love teaching my students. Coffee makes the morning (and evenings of grading) possible. The combination of family, students, history, and coffee makes for a job that I love. So without further ado, an introduction. My name is Hannah Montanez and I am in my sixth year of teaching Social Studies to 8th graders, further referred to as my kids

***Writing temporarily halted by the following conversation:
toddler: "um Mommy, my shirt is wet"
me: "It is?"
toddler: "I was washing the table with my water"
My "momma investigation" found she used a dryer sheet left over from the laundry to dunk into her water glass and wash the table. She's awesome. :)

As a teacher, time is a rare commodity. When I first thought about the blog project, I as an individual, mom, wife, and teacher wondered were that would fit into the daily life. But then I paused....as a teacher, mom, and a wife don't I ask people all around me to reflect on where they are and what they will pursue next? Reflection isn't easy. For the past six years I have had a sticky note taped to my Mac. The faded (and slightly grungy) orange sticky note reminds me daily: "Simplicity is difficult because it requires honesty". This was a thought of mine that came about in conversation with my husband/beloved side-kick years ago (he teaches too). So I will reflect on where I have been along the path of teaching and where I hope to go. I plan to incorporate my rambling reflections along with (hopefully) more polished pieces to meet the requirements for my class. Either way, I hope to write simply and honestly to do the daunting task of reflection.
-better brew more coffee.....
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. You are doing GREAT for a first time blogger. Way to go:)

    ReplyDelete