Since I am a history teacher, I am deeply interested in this political cycle. As citizens, we want our elected officials to work for us. We want our representatives to hear our concerns and do what is best for us. When we feel that our elected representatives are no longer listening to us, we begin to see it as "them" vs. "us". This "them" vs. "us" relationship doesn't always allow for healthy communication and cooperation. We feel like nothing is accomplished. We feel like decisions aren't made with the people in mind. We feel forgotten when we should be the focus.
Is that how our kids see us? Shouldn't our kids expect the same from their teachers as we expect from our elected representatives?
As teachers, we have to consider who our constituents are. We need to consider where our kids go after school. I grew up with a mom who was home when I got home from school. We could sit down and have an after school snack while talking about the day. My husband was a lock and key kid. His mom came home later than he did. They would talk about the day while making dinner. I remember discussing our after school experiences once and realizing that each kid has a different story.....whether the experience is good, bad, ugly, or just complicated....it is their experience.
Our story is not their story. To assume anything different, is a disservice.
When we create assignments or lessons, we have to keep in mind the reality of our students lives. Whether students have after school activities or family responsibilities, we have to remember to respect the time of our students. I don't want a student to miss out on a family dinner because they have to copy vocabulary words for my class. We ask a lot of kids while they are with us at school. We need to remember that just as we enjoy our time at home, so do our kids.
As a teacher, I want to create assignments that have some purpose so my students will hopefully see that when I ask them to complete an assignment, there is a reason. When students understand that teachers respect them, their time, and their reality.....we have a better working relationship. My students will tell you.....I have high standards and I'm not easy to please. I want their best. I want them to push themselves and grow to become the best person they can be. Sometimes I make their life difficult. Sometimes they don't like me.....and that's ok.
It is always my hope that my students see that I work for them. Am I always successful? Absolutely not. Do I have room for improvement? Yes (x100)! But as long as I remember who I work for, then at least I have that.
No comments:
Post a Comment